Back to myContactForm.com - Easy email form creation and processing for your web site
myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index myContactForm.com - Help Forum
Have a question that you need answered about myContactForm.com? Post it on this message board but first search this forum and read out FAQ to ensure it has not already been answered. This is not a board to post links to your site! SPAM will be deleted!

Search MessagesSearch Messages
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retain Information Already Input on form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Site Suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Retain Information Already Input on form Reply with quote

Hello...

When someone doesn't complete the *required* fields on the form they get an error message - which tells them what information is required.

When they go back to the form to complete the required fields, ALL the fields are clear - in other words, the form doesn't retain the information already input.

So the person has to fill in the form again. If the form is a LONG one, then it's likely the person will bail out of the form and website.

Is there a way to RETAIN the fields already completed and perhaps highlight the fields on the form that need completion?

Thanks!
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but this is not possible. Most browsers will typically retain the data.

Sincerely,

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
furesh74

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. Anyone buying this?
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

ronsman wrote:
I don't.

It's certainly not correct to say most browsers will retain the data. They will only do this if they are told not to clear forms.

"Typically", a network setting in a corporate environment WILL clear forms as a security measure. "Typically", security-conscious individuals will also set their browsers to clear forms data.

More importantly, this is a perverse view of people using these forms.

Clearing forms is an option - many people won't know there even IS a setting in their browser for this.

People do make mistakes - if you're going to clear their data when they do, you should at least tell them. You should certainly tell ME you're going to do this, as I'm the one that carries the can.

I'm now left with the sole option of advising people to check their data carefully as it will be wiped if they make a mistake. That is not going to encourage anyone to use an online form.

I think I need a new forms provider who thinks a bit more carefully about users.

Trust me, technically it is impossible without creating a 'POST' back to your website and involving some more complicated code within the form. This would break the forms on many different web servers; killing one of our form's greatest features (universal compatibility). This can be done with a custom software solution, but not with the software we offer.

One last thing. Technically we don't 'clear' any data from your browser. The data simply does not get filled back in automatically when the back button is pushed (although most of it should get filled back in by default). This is of course unless you disabled this within your browser.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Site Suggestion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: