Back to myContactForm.com - Easy email form creation and processing for your web site
myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index myContactForm.com - Help Forum
Have a question that you need answered about myContactForm.com? Post it on this message board but first search this forum and read out FAQ to ensure it has not already been answered. This is not a board to post links to your site! SPAM will be deleted!

Search MessagesSearch Messages
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contact Form sending messages to the same Gmail thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwilsonphotographs

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Contact Form sending messages to the same Gmail thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently building my SmugMug website and have added a contact form with this platform.

The form works and sends messages to my chosen email address.
I am using a custom email address that I set up with GoDaddy, this shares the same domain to my SmugMug page. This email address uses Microsoft Outlook Online; I have linked it to my Gmail account so that all incoming mail for the Outlook Address automatically arrive in my Gmail inbox as well. Gmail is my primary and preferred email platform; I have created labels within Gmail that I use effectively as folders to organise emails with the recipients, respective projects and different action lists.

I asked several friends to each send a test email with the same subject/message body via the contact form, as well as sending my own test emails from other various personal Gmail addresses. The test emails I sent myself arrived successfully to both my Outlook and Gmail inboxes.
In the Gmail inbox my test emails arrived in different threads, and registered as being from different senders (ie. my different email addresses) but both also came labelled as having sent via the contact form.

When it comes to the test emails sent from my friends, they arrived successfully in both my Outlook/Gmail inboxes - but in the Gmail inbox appeared as within the same email thread, despite having different addresses.
I could reply to each email separately, but initially found the fact that multiple emails (all unrelated except for the fact they have been sent via the contact form) were arriving in the same email chain incredibly confusing.

Does anybody have any experience with a similar issue before? I hope I have provided sufficient detail here.

I have a theory that the fact all the test emails sent via the form had the same subject ("Test"), but I'm still investigating this theory.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I do not have experience with this. It sounds like Gmail is looking at the messages being forwarded from Outlook as being related ... perhaps since it is originating from the same sender (Outlook is likely forwarding via the mail server associated with your domain). Unfortunately, I don't know how you could fix this.

In the myContactForm.com settings, you can setup the forms to send to multiple addresses. This may be more efficient than using Outlook to forward.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
timwilsonphotographs

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I have kind of solved this issue: all the emails with the same 'Test' subject were sent in the same thread; whereas emails with different subjects became separated into different threads. Perhaps this is the reason for the grouping of otherwise unrelated emails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: