Back to myContactForm.com - Easy email form creation and processing for your web site
myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index myContactForm.com - Help Forum
Have a question that you need answered about myContactForm.com? Post it on this message board but first search this forum and read out FAQ to ensure it has not already been answered. This is not a board to post links to your site! SPAM will be deleted!

Search MessagesSearch Messages
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement for Huggins mail to form script but for php 7.x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Does your post not fit anywhere?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerrith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Replacement for Huggins mail to form script but for php 7.x Reply with quote

We've been using huggins-email-form-script-v2.2.5.php for years. Our host still supports php 5.x. All of our web sites have been made using ExpressionWeb4. We are presently trying Joomla because it's responsive.

Our problem is that Joomla recommends php 7.x so we now need a script that works exactly as does our Huggins script.

We have hundreds of tutorial pages that have one or more "Next" "Continue" or "I like" buttons on each page which when clicked send me an email that contains the name of the page it was sent from and it takes the person to the next page in the tutorial. The user doesn't know that an email is being sent. The email body only contains the name of the page it was sent from and the user's IP number. This process lets us know what content has entered a user's mind and whether or not they are following the instructions.

Here are some examples of the buttons: comcom121.org / vets "Communicating with a Veteran" "Supporting a Service Member" etc.

Is there such a script that works with Joomla php 7.x?

Thanks, Kerry
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

You could use our forms to do this. The email field is a prerequisite, although you could make it a hidden field with a predetermined address.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Kerrith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick,

Is there a ready-made script that will do what I want?

Re: "The email field is a prerequisite, although you could make it a hidden field with a predetermined address." That sound like what I want. I don't want the reader to have to enter an email address or have to do anything other than write a message and press send. Alias name OK, no email address required such as the "Comments" form at the bottom of https://www.comcom121.org/vets/ When a comment is submitted I receive an email with either the comment in its body or a link to go to from which to view the comment such as with Html Comment Box and, the reader is automatically taken to the next page in the tutorial. Once I approve of a comment everyone will be able to read the comment such as at the bottom of https://www.comcom121.org/gabby/newlets/newlet45.htm.

Kerry
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrith wrote:
Thanks Nick,

Is there a ready-made script that will do what I want?

Re: "The email field is a prerequisite, although you could make it a hidden field with a predetermined address." That sound like what I want. I don't want the reader to have to enter an email address or have to do anything other than write a message and press send. Alias name OK, no email address required such as the "Comments" form at the bottom of https://www.comcom121.org/vets/ When a comment is submitted I receive an email with either the comment in its body or a link to go to from which to view the comment such as with Html Comment Box and, the reader is automatically taken to the next page in the tutorial. Once I approve of a comment everyone will be able to read the comment such as at the bottom of https://www.comcom121.org/gabby/newlets/newlet45.htm.

Kerry

There is nothing premade that would do this. You need to run through the wizard and then manually manipulate the code.

We do not have anything that would actually publish comments to your site.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Kerrith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

To be clear, your application could make what we need, yes? If yes, could we hire someone to make what we need?
Kerry
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrith wrote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

To be clear, your application could make what we need, yes? If yes, could we hire someone to make what we need?
Kerry

I can do the simple email back piece. It would not be able to do the part where it posts comments back to your site.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Kerrith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick,
The IT who is installing Joomla for us was able to get the Huggins script to work.
Aloha, Kerry
Kerrith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joomla was too complicated so we found a nice clean responsive template that works and looks nice however, we are getting warnings from our host that our Huggins script for PHP 5,x is a security issue. So I'm wanting to see if I can make a script.

Re: "I can do the simple email back piece. It would not be able to do the part where it posts comments back to your site." That's good because I don't want anything posted back to the page from which the script is sent. We already have a Comments form that posts comments on the same page.

< comcom121.org/vets/topics.htm > shows what we want.

A tutorial participant clicks on "A Definition of ..." and is taken to < https://www.comcom121.org/vets/resp1.htm >. At the same time the script sends me an email that contains the IP# of the participant and the name of the page from which it was sent and a hyperlink with the page's URL in the body of the email. The participant doesn't have to enter anything.

Can do?
Thanks, Kerry
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Kerrith wrote:
Joomla was too complicated so we found a nice clean responsive template that works and looks nice however, we are getting warnings from our host that our Huggins script for PHP 5,x is a security issue. So I'm wanting to see if I can make a script.

Re: "I can do the simple email back piece. It would not be able to do the part where it posts comments back to your site." That's good because I don't want anything posted back to the page from which the script is sent. We already have a Comments form that posts comments on the same page.

< comcom121.org/vets/topics.htm > shows what we want.

A tutorial participant clicks on "A Definition of ..." and is taken to < https://www.comcom121.org/vets/resp1.htm >. At the same time the script sends me an email that contains the IP# of the participant and the name of the page from which it was sent and a hyperlink with the page's URL in the body of the email. The participant doesn't have to enter anything.

Can do?
Thanks, Kerry

Yes, if I'm following correctly, myContactForm.com can do this. I'd suggest giving the free account a free to see how it works out.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Kerrith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick,

I tried using the wizard but couldn't get it to make a form that didn't require the submitter to enter their name and their email address. For a work around for the name field I labeled it "Enter an alias name:" which would be acceptable but the wizard required that the submitter also enter their email address which doesn't support spontaneity, to tell certain truths without being traced.

It also appears that I would have to make a separate form for each of our 17 pages because the email to me must include the url of the page from which it was submitted.

For example: https://www.comcom121.org/vets/topics.htm has six mail-to-forms.

This is what's in the body of the email I receive:

Vet's Tutorial: Tutorial Topics https://www.comcom121.org/vets/topics.htm
Page Name: Vet's Tutorial: Tutorial Topics
Time % Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:32:13 -0500
IP Address: 00.000.000.00
Browser Information:
Got suggestion

[End Message]
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Good Day,

The name isn't required. You can delete the field. The form URL isn't required either --- it can be left blank.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
Kerrith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad,
"This is what's in the body of the email I receive:

Vet's Tutorial: Tutorial Topics https://www.comcom121.org/vets/topics.htm
Page Name: Vet's Tutorial: Tutorial Topics
Time % Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:32:13 -0500
IP Address: 00.000.000.00
Browser Information:"

...is what I presently receive using Huggins.
I want same results via email except I don't need to receive their browser info.

Thanks, Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Does your post not fit anywhere? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: