Back to myContactForm.com - Easy email form creation and processing for your web site
myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index myContactForm.com - Help Forum
Have a question that you need answered about myContactForm.com? Post it on this message board but first search this forum and read out FAQ to ensure it has not already been answered. This is not a board to post links to your site! SPAM will be deleted!

Search MessagesSearch Messages
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fields of all forms on all websites out of place ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Form Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trippergb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Fields of all forms on all websites out of place ??? Reply with quote

Hey Nick,

Loved your service until about 2-3 months ago, the form on our hostel website appeared completely mixed up. Checked our other similar form on our other hotel website, fields mixed up as well but in a different order. Went to your website and saw you had re-done the lay-out of your website, checked the 'previews' of both our forms and indeed, there they appeared all messed up as well. As a consequence I had to take them down form our website and did not have the time to redo them.
Before I sign up for another year, can you fix our forms back to the state they worked so well? (I would not want to do this again as it took a lot of time and patience to get the question and answer fields aligned)
Do you know what caused the problem, what are the odds we might have this again in the future?
Hope to read from you soon,
Tripper
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Good Day,

First off, I certainly apologize for the inconvenience. You are correct in that at the end of November of last year we rolled out a major update to the site that touched nearly every aspect of the site as well as added many new features. This was the biggest update we've ever done, and represented nearly a year's worth of development.

During the course of the update, it came to light that a corruption in a very small number of our user's old forms would cause the issue you are experiencing. This corruption had always existed, but didn't affect the way the forms operated in our old system; it only became an issue with the new software.

Luckily, the issue was contained to a small number of users. Unluckily for you, it appears that you are one of them. The issue that originally caused this corruption is fixed. Unfortunately, older forms with this issue will need to be manually recreated in order for them to work as they did in the past. This will not be an issue for new forms.

We appreciate your business, and hope to retain your continued support.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
trippergb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the situation and I was actually hoping that with the new software the editing of the form would have become easier but after an hour of re-editing and trying the form experiences the same errors as before.
Again, error messages appear about 'please fill in the required fields' when all fields have been properly filled in. Leaving out the requirement for the field in question, another error message pops up about another so-said field that would not be filled in... Same old same old...
trippergb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the errors are caused by the url the form is located which has capital letters in it while your system does not save the capitals I entered.
I fill in:
http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com/en/Trippers-Carpe-Diem-Reservations.html
Your system transfer this in:
http://www.guesthouseyangshuo.com/en/trippers-carpe-diem-reservations.html
And indeed, the page without capitals does not exist, the one with refers to our reservation page.
How to save the capitals ????
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trippergb wrote:
I understand the situation and I was actually hoping that with the new software the editing of the form would have become easier but after an hour of re-editing and trying the form experiences the same errors as before.
Again, error messages appear about 'please fill in the required fields' when all fields have been properly filled in. Leaving out the requirement for the field in question, another error message pops up about another so-said field that would not be filled in... Same old same old...

Good Day,

You need to please recreate the form from scratch. Do not edit the old form that has been experiencing this issue.

As for the capitals in the form location, ignore this. All URLs are stored in lower-case. It will not affect the form's behavior so long as every letter / number is correct. The case is ignored when we compare the actual URL against the URL stored in our databases.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
karenrobinson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: new form format Reply with quote

I have spent about 2 hours with this form, trying to get it to look decent.
I used to be able to edit a form in about 10 minutes. I had to go in and reformat the width, which still has not worked properly. Also why are my formfields centered in the td?

Before you had 2 tds in a tr: one to left justify the name of the field, and another to hold the form field to the right. This is not an improvement. I had no problem at all before with these forms. This has been a real headache.
Please go look at my form http://makeadrum.com/fayetteville-workshop.html
and see how the form fields are hanging out centered.
I could deal with that if I could get the width of the form to work to take up the extra space. It does not. I used to be very happy with your service. Unless there is something huge I am missing, we have a problem.
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: new form format Reply with quote

karenrobinson wrote:
I have spent about 2 hours with this form, trying to get it to look decent.
I used to be able to edit a form in about 10 minutes. I had to go in and reformat the width, which still has not worked properly. Also why are my formfields centered in the td?

Before you had 2 tds in a tr: one to left justify the name of the field, and another to hold the form field to the right. This is not an improvement. I had no problem at all before with these forms. This has been a real headache.
Please go look at my form http://makeadrum.com/fayetteville-workshop.html
and see how the form fields are hanging out centered.
I could deal with that if I could get the width of the form to work to take up the extra space. It does not. I used to be very happy with your service. Unless there is something huge I am missing, we have a problem.

The forms now use CSS to position the form labels and fields and are more compliant to HTML standards. If the fields are centering themselves, it is due to outside CSS on your site affecting the way the form renders out. Everything looks justified correctly when I visit your site.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
karenrobinson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: new form format Reply with quote

<label for="q5" style="float: left; width: 30%; padding-top: 4px; font-family: Georgia; color: #000000; font-size: 14px;">

I was taught that inline css (within the form) supercedes any of my css styling whether inline (outside the form) or style sheet. It seems your coding is determining the formfield position, not mine.

The above label tag seems to position the formfield within the td @ 30%.
But when I raise the percentage to move it right , the width of the form is increased.

Have you any suggestions how this may be modified? I want the name to remain left justified and the form field box to be right.

I didn't sign up for your service because I want to configure forms, but because I want the convenience of having it done. Yet I don't care for the positioning you use. Could you please tell me how to right justify the formfield while the item name remains at left? (without widening the form that is.) Thank you very much.
mycontac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: new form format Reply with quote

Currently the questions are all aligned left. I think this is what you want. You can modify the form code so that all of the text boxes align right by modifying the inline CSS associated with the text boxes with the float: right; attribute.

1. Look at your HTML code for each question:

Code:
Example of first question on your form:
<input name="q1" id="q1" type="text" value="" size="24" maxlength="" style="font-family: Georgia; font-size: 13px; color: #573407; background-color: #F8F2DC; border: 1px solid #573407; padding: 2px;" />

2. Look at the style="" portion:

Code:
style="font-family: Georgia; font-size: 13px; color: #573407; background-color: #F8F2DC; border: 1px solid #573407; padding: 2px;"

3. Add the float attribute to this inline style definition:

Code:
style="float: right; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 13px; color: #573407; background-color: #F8F2DC; border: 1px solid #573407; padding: 2px;"

This will align the text boxes right.

Nick Ladd
myContactForm.com
karenrobinson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for solving my problem.
I appreciate your help.
K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myContactForm.com - Help Forum Forum Index -> Form Management All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: